Florida Latham Bonds (FLB) Droplet Sampler
The Florida Latham Bonds (FLB) Droplet Sampler Model 319 is designed for applicators that have moved to smaller emission spectra (DV0.5’s of 12-30 μm) associated with newer high pressure systems, air assist nozzles, high speed rotary atomizers or other atomizers. The FLB Droplet Sampler is designed to collect insecticide aerosol droplets on reusable Teflon-coated 3 by 75-mm rods (for oil-based formulations).
- Accurately calibrate spraying equipment.
- For applicators that have moved to smaller emission spectra (DV0.5’s of 12-30 μm) associated with newer high pressure systems, air assist nozzles, high speed rotary atomizers or other atomizers.
- Use with oil-based preparations on Teflon-coated rods.
- Comes complete with 4 ea. AA batteries.
Critical to the effective use of adulticides in mosquito control is the measurement of spray volume and droplet size characterization. A recent critical, scientific, and very well-written review of ultra-low-volume space sprays for mosquito control (Bonds 2012) says this about droplet size: “Droplet size is a principal factor affecting the efficiency of space sprays for the control of adult mosquitoes as droplet size is directly related to the transport and collection efficiency. Two of the most important requirements for an optimum droplet size are that droplets must be small enough to be produced in sufficient numbers for probability of contact and large enough to impact or impinge readily on the body surface of adult mosquitoes.”
- This is the recommended sampler for applicators that have moved to smaller emission spectra (DV0.5’s of 12-30 μm) associated with newer high pressure systems, air assist nozzles, high speed rotary atomizers or other atomizers.
- Spins 1/8″ by 1/8” by 3” (3 by 3 by 75-mm) acrylic Teflon-coated slides.
- Rotation speed is 5.6 m/sec.
- Four internal, replaceable alkaline AA batteries (Energizer Industrial rated at 1,100 mAmps each).
- On/off switch.
- Provides four to five hours of operation per set of batteries.
The development of the new Florida sampler (3-mm square rod rotating at 5.6 m/sec) was a collaborative effort between the Adulticide Application and Evaluation Section of the John A. Mulrennan Sr. Public Health Entomology Research and Education Center (College of Engineering Science Technology and Agriculture), Florida A&M University and Manatee County Mosquito Control District, specifically Mark Latham. Their goal was to improve on what has been considered the industry standard sampler, the John W. Hock Company’s Compact Aerosol Droplet Sampler Model 312 (25 by 75-mm slides rotating at 3.6 m/sec). An article describing and comparing these two samplers (Fritz et al. 2011) concluded that both the FLB Sampler (Model 319) and Compact Aerosol Sampler (Model 312) could be successfully deployed in the field and used to measured volumetric spray concentrations, and for given field studies, adjusted appropriately, if possible, for airspeed-specific collection efficiencies. In the original paper comparing these two samplers (Barber et al. 2004), the authors and developers concluded that:
- “(The FLB Sampler, MN 319) device/technique was only relevant to those applicators that have moved to smaller emission spectra (DV0.5’s of 12-30 μm) by using high pressure systems, air assist nozzles, high speed rotary atomizers or other atomizers. As more aerial applicators move towards smaller droplet producing systems this device in conjunction with the Yeomans correction should be recommended as a field measuring system.”
- The second conclusion was that “the message must be emphasized this (FLB) sampler is not applicable for measuring “conventional spray systems” sprays with DV0.5’s in excess of 50 μm.” So, for measuring droplet characteristics derived from conventional spray systems, the Compact Aerosol Sampler, Model 312 is recommended.
- Requires 4 AA batteries (included)
- Requires 3-mm by 75-mm Teflon-Coated Acrylic Rods (purchased separately, see options below)
|6.27||Teflon-coated acrylic 3-mm rods for the Model 319. Box of 25 rods.|