Ruggedized Storm Sewer Light Trap
The Ruggedized Storm Sewer Trap Model 519.55 was developed in concert with entomologists with the Mosquito Control Division of the Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services in 2002-2003 for trapping primarily Culex quinquefasciatus females in the storm sewer system of Harris County surrounding the city of Houston. The body and lid are made of virtually indestructible ABS plastic; the other parts of the trap are either aluminum, stainless steel, or bronze.
- Specific for Culex quinquefasciatus females.
- Ruggedized design can be used above or below ground.
- Can be used with insulated Dry Ice Container for CO2 release.
- Use with collection bag or killing jar.
- Downdraft fan keeps catch in the collection bag.
- Model 519.55 Manual
The trap comes complete with a double-ring collection bag and D-cell battery holders mounted to the side of the trap. A rotary switch permits the trap to be turned on and off without removing or installing the batteries. The trap operates at 3 volts DC using 4 alkaline batteries; this wiring permits at least two trap nights per set of batteries.
This trap can be used above or below ground; it is essentially nothing more than a ruggedized version of some of our other miniature light traps such as the Model 512. The major differences include:
- An ABS body that does not permit light transmission (unlike the transparent acrylic body of the Model 512).
- Operation at 3 volts vs. 6 volts for other, similar traps. This results in a slower fan speed and light output shifted towards the yellow end of the spectrum.
Optional CO2 Release
Harris County suspends the ruggedized trap below our Insulated Dry-Ice Container (Igloo) (P/N 1.10). The addition of dry ice which involves CO2 gas, results in significant increases in the number and diversity of mosquitoes caught and makes the location of the trap less critical. Used in the afternoon, it allows the collection of diurnally active mosquitoes that are not normally attracted to light traps. Our Insulated Dry Ice Container is simply a modified Igloo® drink cooler with stainless steel hardware to make it easy to use with 2kg of dry ice. The insulation slows the rate of sublimation and by hanging the trap from the hook below the cooler, the CO2 is released at the correct location, right above the trap.
The Ruggedized Storm Sewer Trap Model 519.55 includes:
- Trap Assembly with motor, light, and fan.
- D-cell battery holders mounted to the side of the trap.
- Double-Ring Collection Bag
- Four (4) D-cell alkaline batteries which permits at least two trap nights per set of batteries.
NOTE: This daytime-collecting trap cannot be ordered with a PhotoSwitch.
|1.10||Insulated Dry-Ice Container (Igloo)|
|1.20||Killing Jar and Assembly|
|1.30||Air-Actuated Gate System|
|1.42||Collection Bag, Single-Ring, Fine Mesh|
|1.45||Collection Bag, Double Ring, Fine Mesh only|
|1.44||New Collection Cup, Standard Mesh|
|1.49||New Collection Cup, Fine Mesh|